MICCAI 2023: Call for Tutorials
Sunday 4th December 2022
The 2023 MICCAI conference will be held on Oct.8-Oct.12, 2023 in Vancouver. The conference will host a variety of satellite events that will include workshops, challenges and tutorials. Tutorials are educational sessions offered by expert researchers and scientists on topics relevant to the MICCAI community. The purpose of tutorials is to provide educational materials for all career levels including students, early career scientists, professionals seeking continued education, and established researchers. Tutorials should focus on a specific theme, e.g., methodology, clinical application, emerging technologies, or software tool, and organizers should explain why the theme is timely and of interest to the MICCAI community. The tutorial format may combine lectures, demonstrations, hands-on sessions and hackathons.
MICCAI 2023 encourages satellite events that promote the discussion of emerging developments within the spectrum of activities represented by MICCAI. Tutorials covering aspects of open science, reproducible research, and soft skills development are also welcome.
MICCAI 2023 tutorials will take place on Sunday, October 8, and Thursday, October 12, 2023. Each tutorial will be organized as a half-day (8:00 am-12:30 pm, or 1:30 pm-5:00 pm) or a full-day (8:00 am-5:00 pm) event.
The deadline for proposal submissions is January 15, 2023. Tutorials with substantial overlap will be merged. Final decisions will be announced on March 13, 2023.
Tutorial Organizers are expected to:
● Build an independent website for their tutorial.
● Arrange advertising of the tutorial.
● Prepare electronic versions of teaching material and supporting software, and submit them to the MICCAI 2023 organizing committee for distribution to registered participants.
Tutorial organizers can access the submission form at the main MICCAI 2023 CMT link https://cmt3.research.microsoft.com/MICCAI2023 under the “Tutorials” track. The content of the form is included in this call for easier reference.
Due to the limited number of rooms available, and for the interest of the participants, a selection will be performed within the submitted workshops, tutorials and challenges. The selection criteria for tutorial events will include:
● Relevance of the topic to the MICCAI community. Emergent subjects will be favorably considered if the link with the MICCAI community is clearly established.
● Quality of the educational objectives
● Expertise of the team
● Targeted audience
● EDI (equity, diversity and inclusion) related criteria. Gender balance and geographic diversity are highly desired in the tutorial team as well as invited speakers.
Authors will assign to the MICCAI Society the right to distribute the tutorial material to MICCAI members and to tutorial and conference attendees, independently of the copyright ownership planned by the tutorial organizers. It is up to the tutorial organizers to obtain corresponding agreement of the instructors and, if necessary, consent from journals/publishers to utilize the aforementioned material.
MICCAI 2023 will not cover travel arrangements, registration fees and faculty compensation for the organizers of satellite events. Organizers are allowed to find external funding to cover expenses.
The MICCAI 2023 satellite events committee has limited funds for waiving the registration fees for a number of speakers, including those from outside the MICCAI community. Organizers should send a request to email@example.com justification for their request. Organizers and speakers who plan to attend only the satellite event they are involved in are expected to register for the event unless registration fee waivers have been requested and granted.
15 January 2023: Tutorial proposals submission deadline
13 March 2023: Notification of acceptance
16 April 2023: Tutorial websites are up and running
July 2023: Deadline to submit tutorial materials (in pdf)
8 and 12 October 2023: Tutorial dates
Tutorial Proposal Submission Form (to be filled through CMT)
- Organizing Team: Please list the names and affiliations of the event organizers.
- Tutorial Description: Please provide the description of the proposed tutorial, including 1) the scope of the tutorial and topics that will be covered, 2) the learning objectives, and 3) a justification of the interests and opportunities for the MICCAI community (5000 characters).
- Proposed Speakers: Please provide the names and brief biosketches of the tutorial speakers. Note that MICCAI will not waive registration fees for the speakers unless explicitly requested and approved by the MICCAI satellite events committee as per the "Call for Tutorials" guidelines (2000 characters).
- Duration: Please indicate whether the tutorial will be full-day or half-day.
- Format Type: Please indicate the format of the tutorial (select all that apply): o Hands-on o Lecture-based o Demonstration o Hackathon
- EDI (equity, diversity and inclusion): Gender balance and geographic diversity are highly desired in the organizing committee as well as invited speakers. Please specify how your tutorial proposal meets such criteria (1000 characters).
- Tutorial Audience: Please provide information about the targeted audience (beginners, intermediate, and advanced) and any prerequisite skills or knowledge. Also provide an estimate of the size of the audience and explain the basis of this estimate (1000 characters).
- History/Background: Please indicate whether similar tutorials have been given at previous MICCAI conferences. If so, what is the new contribution of this tutorial proposal? (1000 characters)
- Tutorial Materials: Please describe the materials that will be distributed at the event, including pdf documents, anonymised data, software tools, etc. (1000 characters)
- Technical Requirements: Please let us know any specific requirement for hardware, technical equipment, or support (e.g., projectors, computers, monitors, loud speakers, microphones) (500 characters).
- Proceedings: Please let us know if your event will have proceedings/tutorial notes and whether you would like these to be part of the MICCAI Satellite Events joint proceedings published in LNCS or prepared independently (provide details in this case). Notice that the OC may optimize the organization of the final volumes (500 characters).
- Other Comments: Please let us know if you have any other comments (500 characters).
- Terms and Conditions: Please confirm that you have read and accept the details regarding the expected duties, budgets and management process