Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct at MICCAI Events
As a professional scientific society, the Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention Society (MICCAI) is committed to providing an atmosphere that encourages the free expression and exchange of ideas. Consistent with this commitment, it is the purpose of this Code of Conduct to detail how MICCAI envisions that participants in MICCAI activities enjoy a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment, free from threatening conduct, harassment, bullying, and intimidation.
This Code of Conduct applies to all participants at MICCAI events and any other MICCAI-sponsored or MICCAI-endorsed events, both during the events and on official communications channels, including social media.
Participants include but are not limited to organizers, volunteers, attendees, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors, vendors, guests, reviewers, and MICCAI staff.
Events include but are not limited to conferences, workshops, tutorials, conference-sponsored social events.
Participants agree to abide by this Code of Conduct as a condition of participating in one of these events. Participants also agree to comply with other MICCAI rules and conditions for these events, which are subject to change without notice.
Expected standards of behavior
All participants in MICCAI event must behave responsibly in all interaction with other MICCAI participants: formal or informal social activities, at on-site and off-site locations, in related online communities, and on social media. All individuals participating in activities of the MICCAI must comply with the following standards of behavior. All participants at MICCAI events are expected to:
- Exercise consideration and respect in their speech and actions.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of their surroundings and of their fellow participants.
- Alert community leaders if they notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
Behavior that directly or indirectly interferes with the comfort or safety of other participants will not be tolerated.
The list below provides examples of behavior that violates this Code of Conduct. This list is intended to be descriptive but not comprehensive. Behavior that is not listed here and that has an impact on the comfort or safety of other participants is a violation of the Code of Conduct.
- Verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion, ethnicity, national origin, veteran status or other personal characteristic or identity
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing, unauthorized, or inappropriate photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual or other attention
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial harm
- Real or implied threat of physical harm
- Physical assault
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
Participants asked by any member of the community to stop any such behavior are epxected to comply immediately.
Reporting violations and investigations
Anyone who is a target of, or who witnesses behavior in violation of this Code of Conduct may report the violation. MICCAI will protect the confidentiality of reporters to the extent possible and will accept anonymous reports if the reporter does not want to identify themselves.
Alleged violations to this Code of Conduct should be reported in a timely fashion to the MICCAI safety officers at firstname.lastname@example.org. The safety officers will proceed to investigate as appropriate to the circumstances; however, they may refuse to respond to a complaint determined to be frivolous or vexatious. The decision of when to investigate is at the sole discretion of the safety officers.
The safety officers may recommend any such actions that will result in a fair and just conclusion of the situation, with the ultimate goal of ensuring that MICCAI events provide a welcoming environment, free from threatening conduct, harassment, and intimidation.
Following the safety officers’ recommendation, the MICCAI Board sub-committee on disciplinary affairs will review all information provided by the safety officers and issue its decision. Unacceptable behavior may cause removal from, or denial of access to, current or future MICCAI events; suspension or termination of membership; revocation of any awards or other recognition from MICCAI; and other actions, without refund of any applicable registration fees or costs. In addition, violations may be reported to the individual's employer.
If action is taken, an appeals process will be made available.